Jardim Botânico, Brasília: September 23, 2012

After seeing the stunning photos recently taken in Northwestern Ecuador of the mythical Banded Ground-Cuckoo, at a site I could have easily visited myself just a few years ago on a day trip, I felt less inspired than usual to go birding in the Cerrado this weekend.  The number of new birds that remain for me to see in region are growing few, and none are remotely as spectacular as the members of the neomorphus genus.  But a few hours opened up in my busy Sunday afternoon schedule, and I thought I would visit the botanical garden briefly in search of the Blue-Tufted Starthroat, a striking hummingbird that was recorded a few weeks ago here according to records from Wiki Aves.  I didn't find many flowering trees where it could occur, but it wasn't a completely bird-less afternoon with this Red-Crested Finch being a modest highlight.

Notable birds seen: Rusty-Margined Guan, Plumbeous Kite, Turquoise-Fronted Amazon, Pale-Breasted Spinetail, Planalto Slaty Antshrike, Helmeted Manakin, Yellow-Olive Flatbill, Masked Gnatcatcher, Tropical Parula, Guira Tanager, Blue Dacnis, Red-Crested Finch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites