Jardim Botânico, Brasília: November 19, 2011

After checking out the Jardim Dom Bosco, Aimee and I decided to stay in Lago Sul for the afternoon and watch the sunset from the shore later. To kill a few hours, I suggested we take another walk in the Jardim Botanico, where we might also spot a few cerrado specialties. The afternoon is rarely a productive time for birding in the neotropics, especially if it's been hot and sunny all day, and today was no different. There were plenty of animals around though, including two groups of Black-Tufted Marmosets, several unobtrusive armadillos, and a small group of monkeys that I'm still unsure about identifying (perhaps they were Black-Striped Capuchins?).

There’s a mirante, or observation tower, in the corner of the park that I made sure to check out before leaving. It’s a modest but safe structure that provides good views over the campo sujo, which looks like it was recently burned (I’ll have to explain more about the cerrado ecosystem in a later post, once I’ve seen more of it for myself). Again, before leaving the jardim I found a pair of Rufous-Winged Antshrikes, seeing the male briefly this time, as well as a Rusty-Margined Guan with a chick crossing the path on foot. If I ever get more serious about birding in Brazil and get up early in the morning, then I’m confident this will be a productive site.

Notable birds seen: Rusty-Margined Guan, Whistling Heron, Southern Crested Caracara, Neotropical Palm Swift, Swallow-Tailed Hummingbird, Rufous-Winged Antshrike, Southern Beardless Tyrannulet, Guira Tanager, Blue Dacnis, Burnished-Buff Tanager.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites